When you are looking to purchase a men’s toupee, you will either place an order for one of two options — a stock hair system or a custom made hair system. What are the differences between the two and how do you know which one is right for you? We will be taking a look at all of that in detail so continue reading below!
What are stock hair systems?
Stock hair systems are the preset hair systems or toupees that we at Superhairpieces usually carry in our inventory. With our many years of experience in the hair industry, we have carefully selected a number of stock hairpieces that come in different colors and sizes so they fit a good majority of our clientele’s needs and requirements.
Whether it’s thin skin poly, French lace, Swiss lace, a monofilament top or a combination of different base materials, we offer a wide selection of hairpieces that have been extremely popular with both our wholesale and retail clients. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of our stock hairpieces.
- Readily available: Because these are our stock systems, as the name suggests, they are usually always in stock in our warehouses in Florida and Mississauga. That means you can place an order and expect it to be shipped out in as little as 24 hours.
- Shorter wait times: While we have a good number of stock hair systems in our inventory, there’s always a chance certain models may still either be in production or in transit to our warehouses.
Luckily, it means you will only have to wait a few days or more before it can be shipped out to you. This is not the case with custom made hair systems as you will find out later on in this blog.
- Affordable: One of the biggest benefits of our stock hair systems are that they are very affordable. You can get a number of human hairpieces for under $200 while our most expensive toupees are just under $350.
- Easy returns: Not a fan of the stock hair system you’ve ordered? Don’t like how it looks in the flesh? You can return it! Keep in mind that you have 15 days from the date you receive your order to return it for a full refund. The hairpiece will also have to be relatively untouched. Also note that if you have selected any feature such as a base cut or hair styling, it will be considered final sale so you will not be able to return or exchange it.
- Higher quality/consistency: Because our stock hairpieces are produced in bulk, there is more consistency with the hairpieces from the hair to the knotting. By mass producing hair units, the overall final products are more stable and accurate. Additionally, the quality is generally better because there is no time pressure to produce them compared to custom made hairpieces.
- Limited customization options: The biggest negative of stock hair systems is that there is very limited customization available. We do offer customized stock hairpieces, but you will only be able to make small changes such as the base size and hair density. If you require further customization, a custom hair system is what you will be looking for.
- Might not fit 100%: Another disadvantage of stock hairpieces is that it may not fit you properly. This is because our stock hair systems come in preset sizes, which in some cases, can be cut down to fit your head.
However, if you want an exact fit for your head, you can select the exact size you need in a custom order.
Recommended for: We highly recommend anyone new to the world of hair systems opt for stock hairpieces first. This is so that you can get used to the feeling of wearing one and the entire process that is involved such as installing, removing and maintaining it.
Not to mention other things like taking a shower, sleeping or performing activities with your toupee on. Remember, there is a learning curve with hair systems, but once you get used to it, you can start trying out other stock hair systems and base materials and see which one works for you best. For example, many customers start off wearing poly skin systems only to later find that lace systems were a better fit for them and vice versa. With that said, we have many experienced customers who continue to swear by our stock systems simply because of the convenience and how it fits their particular needs in their hair loss journey.
What are custom made hair systems?
Custom made hair systems are hair systems that are fully personalized by the customer based on their requirements. You simply choose from one of our stock bases and customize everything from hair length, hair density, hair type, hair style, grey percentage, thickness of the poly, base skin tone, hairline shape, whether the base will have a scallop front or or lace front and much more!
You can also provide a sample of a unit, hair color, hair texture or a template of your scalp so our ventilation workers know exactly how you want your custom hairpiece to look and fit. As one can see, this is a great option for those who want the perfect hair system that fulfills all their hair loss needs.
- The exact specifications and fit: Since you are choosing just about every specification for your hair system, you will not only get a hair system that covers all your needs, but also get a perfectly-fitting hairpiece as well without the need for any base cutting. That means you can wear your hair system as soon as you open it from the box!
- Add the features you like: While our stock systems are pretty versatile, every hairpiece wearer is different and will have certain requirements. With a custom made order, you can get exactly what you need and add any features that are missing from our stock options.
- Longer wait times: Of course, because this is a completely personalized hair system, it will take more time to manufacture than a regular stock hair system. Our ventilation workers will have to make sure the custom order is actually as per your specifications and as a result, it can take a bit longer to receive your unit.
The good news, however, is that we offer three-month guaranteed delivery for custom orders! For an added fee, you can opt for this option and if we take longer than three months to deliver your hair system, you will be refunded the fee.
- More expensive: Naturally, custom made hair systems will be more expensive than regular stock systems because you are adding a number of different features and customization options.
- Cannot be returned: All custom orders are deemed final sale and cannot be returned or exchanged. This is because of the time it takes to manufacture a custom made hair system, so it’s very important that you double check your order before placing it to avoid any mistakes.
Recommended for: We recommend custom made toupees for experienced clients or salon owners who know their way around hairpieces. They have a good knowledge of hair systems and are aware of what extra requirements they need in order to get the perfect hair system for themselves or their clients.
Now that you’ve read this blog, you should be well aware of what stock and custom hair systems are along with their various pros and cons. But to sum it up, we recommend newcomers go for a stock hair system while they get more accustomed with how hairpieces work in general and the overall learning curve.
For more seasoned clients who know their way around hairpieces and want specific features, we would recommend going for a custom made toupee to get the perfect hair system for their needs if a stock system isn’t doing it for them.
Whether you’ve decided on a stock or custom hairpiece, you can now make sure you’ll always get your desired hairpiece when you expect to with our hair system subscription program! There is no added cost to join, you can choose how many hairpieces you want per year and prices are locked in at the time of your subscription.
With a subscription, your units will also be made by the same ventilation worker, so you won’t have to worry about any discrepancies which is particularly useful for custom orders!